ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bart -
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
5D mk i in 2014, cheap FF or bad idea?
7 months ago

Dear all,

I would love to hear your perspective on the following matter: I've wanted to buy a good (digital) camera for years, but I'm a student so I'm on a limited budget. The original 5D is relatively cheap nowadays, it's tempting to buy one. Full-frame seems to offer advantages that no cropped sensor camera can offer. The ability to get great photos in low light (the 5D still triumphs all non-full frame camera's on DxOmark's charts). Easy bokeh. And wide-angle shots, no crop! Am I being overly optimistic about this? How smart is buying a 5D in 2014?

Here are some of my thoughts:

As far as I can tell, the drawbacks aren't that bad. A CF card instead of SD card. It doesn't have a a pop-up flash. Viewing pictures back on-camera is a tad slow. Most likely I won't have any warranty, as I will be buying second hand. Not that many megapixels (I don't really care about this one). Slow AF (how slow, does anyone know how it compares to a, for example, 60D?).

Some things I like about the 5D in specific: the robustness. (I bought a 600D a couple of months ago, only to sell it again a few weeks later. It felt like it was going to fall apart any moment.) No bells and whistles. Large viewfinder. Small body. LCD-panel. And lastly, I just seem to like older technology more for irrational nostalic reasons.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow