FinePix HS50EXR for shooting Bodybuilding competition?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KTat
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
FinePix HS50EXR for shooting Bodybuilding competition?
7 months ago

Hi, a buddy of mine asked me to shoot him and friends at an upcoming bodybuilding competition.

I've tried using with Canon PowerShot SX superzooms like the SX30IS before in the past, and the zoom was great, and videos were okay, but  the biggest problem was with the focus. Shots could be slightly out of focus due to the strong overhead lights and oiled bodies which are highly reflective and bright that sometimes confused the Canon cameras.  I ended up doing burst mode shooting in the hope that the camera would capture at least one shot well. I also had to play around with light exposure to make sure I get the right skin colour.  It worked somewhat, but I felt its time to find a new camera.

I don't want to fork out a DSLR camera with a zoom lens yet, and hoping to get by with the HS50EXR and a tripod from say 7-8 rows of seats from the front of the stage.  My idea is that the manual focus lens on this Fujifilm camera will help overcome the focus issue since I can manually zoom in.  However, when I was testing the camera at a recent IT show, I noticed that even when manual mode is chosen, when I press the shutter button halfway, the camera still did a very quick auto-focus (to and fro, albeit minutely) for final focus. I worry if this would be thwarted by the same lighting and subject conditions.

Any guru's please advise, if the HS50EXR will be a much better choice without doing DSLR, thanks.  Or any recommendations for a different camera, or a different way to use it.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow