Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,575Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X
In reply to Grobb, 4 months ago

tron555 wrote:

If it stay basically the same, I guess all the above is just the usual marketing hype you get from any manufacturer just before a new camera release. Since I currently own and use a G12 and like Canon, I sure hope you (and they) are correct and the G1X2 has outstanding IQ. Right now, the only two cameras I can considering is the G1X2 or the P8000. I do plan to get one of the two, which ever meets my requirements best after they have been reviewed and I can compare both, we shall all see soon.

PS, I'm not directly comparing the G1X with the RX1, just showing how far Canon has to go to catch up with its competition in sensor technology. Lately, I have not seen any major sensor developments or improvements from Canon.

Yes, Canon is lagging in sensor technology; if you look at their DSLR sensors it is clear there has been VERY little real progress over the last 8 years or so. G1X2 uses this same Canon sensor technology, so it is unlikely that there will be a significant improvement compared to G1X. IMHO it is quite likely that a 1 inch Nikon/Sony sensor will match a 1.5 inch G1X2 sensor for DR, noise and resolution.

The sensor is just one factor for IQ; the lens, AF, metering, processing etc. are also important. And besides IQ there are factors like size, operational speed, ergonomics, special features etc. For me having a tilt screen or an EVF is a must, I haven't seen anything about that on the P8000. There are also rumors about a new Sony RX100-type camera this summer, so maybe there will be even three cameras to chose from

For sure the G1X2 sensor will give better results than allmost every other compact; but given the price and size the more important question is how IQ compares to APS-C DSLRs and mirrorless cameras.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow