Started Mar 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
0MitchAG
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
Compact screws and drivers
Mar 9, 2014

For those more inquisitive among us, and whom pull apart cameras from time to time, what are the common screw sizes you encounter?

I only ever pull apart old compacts, and the last time I did this using the rather crappy precision screwdrivers I have, they were all damaged and sometimes I just had to smash the camera apart to get inside.

Right now on my second go, I am going to purchase some precision screwdrivers from Germany that won't wear but I'm not sure what sizes I will need. The screws in the camera are phillips head and the drives appear to be 1.4mm and 1mm or slightly less. Currently I am able to purchase a Phillips #000 which I believe is 1.5mm (1/16 inch) and a Slotted (Flat) of 1mm. I'm unable to take it to a hardware shop and test the driver sizes so I estimated. In your experience, would these be standard? They are not Japanese Industrial Phillips either (nor do those on my Panasonic lenses appear to be) so that is a plus.

And even though both screw sizes are Phillips heads would using a Slotted screwdiver cause damage, or is it just a matter of going a bit slower due to the torque? I don't think they make Phillips any smaller than 1.5mm.

0MitchAG's gear list:0MitchAG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow