Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
0MitchAG
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?
Compact screws and drivers
5 months ago

For those more inquisitive among us, and whom pull apart cameras from time to time, what are the common screw sizes you encounter?

I only ever pull apart old compacts, and the last time I did this using the rather crappy precision screwdrivers I have, they were all damaged and sometimes I just had to smash the camera apart to get inside.

Right now on my second go, I am going to purchase some precision screwdrivers from Germany that won't wear but I'm not sure what sizes I will need. The screws in the camera are phillips head and the drives appear to be 1.4mm and 1mm or slightly less. Currently I am able to purchase a Phillips #000 which I believe is 1.5mm (1/16 inch) and a Slotted (Flat) of 1mm. I'm unable to take it to a hardware shop and test the driver sizes so I estimated. In your experience, would these be standard? They are not Japanese Industrial Phillips either (nor do those on my Panasonic lenses appear to be) so that is a plus.

And even though both screw sizes are Phillips heads would using a Slotted screwdiver cause damage, or is it just a matter of going a bit slower due to the torque? I don't think they make Phillips any smaller than 1.5mm.

0MitchAG's gear list:0MitchAG's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow