Need help choosing laptop for lightroom 5/ photoshop.

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cruffatin
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Need help choosing laptop for lightroom 5/ photoshop.
6 months ago

First of all, I'm not looking to do heavy editing on the laptop screen - it would be more of a stop gap measure when on the road - but i do want to be able to use it for editing photos and occasionally video on an external monitor at home.

I'm looking for a laptop that is portable, has a good enough screen to at least be able to guesstimate the way a photograph would look on a quality monitor, and is able to run Lightroom 5 / Photoshop CS 6 on an external display without taking forever. Photography is only my hobby, so I don't need a top of the line CPU, but if it takes 4-5 sec to load up each photo / apply changes, that's too long and it will get frustrating.

Right now I'm leaning toward this one, do you think it's a good option?

14 inch / 256GB SSD / i5-4200M / 8Gb RAM (can upgrade to 16)/ GTX 760 video card / 1900x1080 TN matte display -> about $1000

This one can work with two external monitors. No idea about how good the screen actually is, because there are no reviews at all for it, but it's TN, which is perhaps a downside. From your experience, is IPS really important? I'm planning to do the vast majority of my editing on an external monitor, but I'd probably want to use the laptop screen for light editing once in a while.

Also, is i5 enough for non-frustrating photo editing?

Finally, do I really need a dedicated graphics card, or would I be ok with HD 4400, for example?

Thank you.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow