Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JamesX
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Restarting photography - gear advice
6 months ago

Finally getting back into photography fulltime and really want to push myself to learn as much as possibly can... I'm not sure what I really want to focus on yet (Portrait, Landscape, Nature, etc.) but I would eventually like to setting on one thing to get "Really" good at. Right now I have a lot to brush up on so whether shooting indoor, outdoor, macro or distance my main goal at the moment is Sharpness. (I only shoot in Manual mode for now)

For now I'm just getting my gear unpacked and getting out shooting again. Wanted to get some advice on the gear I have laying around to see if anything should be exchanged/upgraded or anything else I could use...

Camera:

Nikon D90 w/Grip and Remote Release (Less than 4000 shutter count): Thought about upgrading the body but at this point, I don't really see the need. Colour is set to "Standard" mode and Sharpness 5

Manfrotto Tripod

-- hide signature --

Lenses (All set with UV filters)

Tokina AT-X 11-16mm Pro F2.8 Pro DX
Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8 DX
Nikon 50mm F1.8
Nikon 60mm Macro
Nikon AF-S 55-200mm VR/ED/DX

It's mostly the lenses I'm concerned about. Haven't met anybody local to really talk so I'm self taught and bought this gear mostly hoping to give myself a good "Range" for trying a little of everything. Eventually I'd like to get a better Zoom for the real closeup wildlife shots but right now, it isn't high on my list.

I shoot in manual and still understand exposure so now that I have time to get back into it, I want to focus on Image Quality while I try different things and hopefully find a niche for myself.... Really appreciate the input.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow