Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aramgrg
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Does picture style affect RAW?[6D]
8 months ago

Hi everyone. Today I was scrolling over picture styles and found out that the ugliest one is the default standard or auto picture style. Those picture styles add too much contrast to the image and start clipping highlights very early. The best setting I have found so far is Auto(3,-3,-1,0) which improves out of camera DR a lot!
Well the question is does this picture styles affect raw data written in the card. Haven't played much yet, put the first impression is that they do. Theoretically, when processing files with dpp, or canon picture style editor, you can choose picture styles ex post, but somehow the images shoot with neutral ps and applied auto ps ex post appear to be different than the ones shoot with standard. I know that there are software showing the amount of clipped highlights, but unfortunately I do not own one.

My concern is that the picture style affects raw DR of camera. Can someone clarify this to me?

And also what picture style do you use when shooting in regular conditions moslty?

aramgrg's gear list:aramgrg's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow