Re: 3,000,000,000,000
In reply to bobn2, 5 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

altair8800 wrote:

If you separate the full sensor into 36 million groups and count the photons in each, you may come out ahead of what we have now.
By the time that math is done, the bird is miles away.

I was replying to a statement about dynamic range, not processing speed.

In my reply to falconeyes, I was takking about his true binary sensor which is short on dynamic range. He did not mention any data processing to give reasonable dynamic range.

A sensor just has to count photons. You won't see anything without 'data processing' which will always simply map photon counts to tonal values, no different for the true binary sensor.

I assume mapping photon counts to tonal values means you lose the ten trillion pixel resolution. The FPS would be too low anyway. Frames Per Fortnight?

Well, you'd never print 'ten trillion pixels' anyway, would you - and if you have on photon pixels the readout mechanism is very different - you wouldn't think that with such a radical design all the peripheral electronics would stay the same - and just having a binary output from the pixels makes some things quite simple. Just think of it as a completely flexible sensor, where you can make the decision how to trade resolution agains DR. You're always making that trade with any camera, anyway - just the one photon pixel gives you the ultimate in flexibility of the trade.

My reply to falconeyes was:

"I like that resolution. Great for cropping, but may be a bit short on dynamic range."

That was referring to the "ten trillion pixel count". I think that statement is correct. Ten trillion pixels binary is short on dynamic range. It gives you the very good option to process the data for lower resolution in exchange for higher dynamic range.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow