Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,519Gear list
Like?
Question: 20mm vs 15mm Distortion When Photographing Cars
6 months ago

I have the Panasonic 20mm lens. It's very sharp and performs well in low-light environments, but as we know its AF is sometimes a bit slow, it doesn't do C-AF, and its FOV is relatively narrow.  So, the forthcoming Panasonic 15mm f/1.7 could be appealing to me, assuming it doesn't have the same limitations as the 20mm.

When it's released, the reviews will reveal whether the shortcomings mentioned above have been addressed.   However, I do have a rather basic "field of view" question I need answered.  To wit:

I enjoy taking pictures of cars.  If I position myself so that the car takes up pretty much the entire frame of the photo (say one foot of space at both the front and back bumpers), the 20mm produces images that don't appear to be distorted.  Will a similar car photo taken with a 15mm lens appear distorted, due to my having to be closer to the car?  Stated another way, would I have to be far enough away from the car to avoid distortion, that extraneous unwanted "stuff" would be included in the photo?

Thanks in advance for any insight you care to share on this topic.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow