Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,650
Like?
Olympus m43 vs Fuji X
4 months ago

What leads one to choose the Fuji X system over an Olympus m4/3?

Noise? Can't this be attributed to the X-Tran color filter array that forces chroma noise reduction on you even in RAW files? Personally, I would rather have control over noise reduction. Also, DPReview points out in the X-E2 review that Fuji ISO is well overstated so there is even less of an advantage than you are led to believe. Then there is that plastic skin issue, which is most likely due to excessive noise reduction.

Features? Olympus wins easily here. IBIS, LiveBulb, LiveTime, LiveComposite, Face/eye detection (including the ability to customize these features), overall customizability, and high speed flash sync, to name a few. Is Fuji's dust reduction system as good as Olympus's? What about pixel mapping?

Lenses? Both systems have quality lenses, but m4/3 has a much greater choice of them.

RAW support? Again, Olympus wins.

This isn't a bash Fuji thread and I admit I am much more familiar with Olympus cameras. I will be finally upgrading from my Olympus E-1 in a few months and want to make the most informed choice I can, so I ask what leads one to choose Fuji over Olympus? To me, even though they have taken a few leaps lately, the Fuji system is still raw.  Having said that, I have seen spectacular photos from both, though the occasional skin issues from Fuji's system bothers me when I see it.

One final question, is light leaking a big issue?

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus E-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow