Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BushmanOrig
Senior MemberPosts: 2,897Gear list
Like?
Me to now own a new E-M1...decided to keep my E-M5
8 months ago

I mastered the art of buying and selling on the web.........I guess many eyebrows now raise!!! Basics, know when to buy, know when to sell and present your offer well....... I keep a log of all my toy purchase and resale actions and I work careful to stay in a positive $ balance.....

Why tell my story....simply because I decided to let go of my 700D which I kept for those days I wanted to see just how good my E-M5 really is......, I also always kept 2 Panasonic CSC's in my bag because I always liked the sharpness the Panny output had. From the E-P3 onwards these aspects changed and Olympus IQ just kept on excelling to the point that I never used the Canon or the Panasonic cams. Presenting almost all equipment I had on these brands made me decide to get the E-M1 and keep the E-M5....

Getting back to the OM-D's you need to know I really like my E-M5, this is an incredibly fine camera. Does not matter what sensor at this stage, the best thing Olympus could have done was starting working with Sony.......in a way I am really sad Olympus use Panasonic sensors again.......recall the days Panasonic withheld their new sensors to Olympus while they were bragging with their 16MP models......

My E-M1 was really expensive. The going rate here in Switzerland is 1800SFR ($) for the body and some shops let them go for 1500SFR. On my way home with my new E-M1 in the bag I saw the 600 Nikon (full frame) with 24 - 80mm selling for 1600SFR, the Canon 70D with 18 - 135mm STM for 1400SFR, the Canon 5D MKII body can be had in this price range. Olympus is either challenging or they just stupid.....

Well unpacking the E-M1 and experiencing the new Olympus pro range body I was little disappointed to say the least. Keep in mind Olympus is running up there with the best and they comfortable they earned that position. In terms of E-M1 IQ & functionality, I do not think Olympus is out of line, the E-M5 for example is way ahead of the 700D, the 7D I had before that also battle to keep up in terms of IQ, as total package the 7D is unique. Don't make a mistake we talking at a level here where all these cameras are excellent, I refer to small differences excelling the E-M5 IQ to really stand out......

I expected more unpacking the E-M1. Better quality packaging as a must, better quality shoulder strap, yes the E-M1 strap is different but nothing unique. Why no DVD with high quality training videos, movies talking about the technologies used in the E-M1.......Olympus you guys have such a awesome product with Wi-Fi build in but completely disconnected from the day electronic world. You missed a great opportunity, I really hope you wake up before the next big player blow your feed from underneath you with connectivity that fit technology & modern use & trends.....

As I start using the E-M1 it is clear that as with the E-M5 the new E-M1 is an amazing camera, IQ is just amazing, From a functionality point of view is is not just mind blowing what this E-M1 is capable of, this camera is a absolute trend setter and like the ART filters that were laughed upon, the E-M1 is about to change several aspects of modern digital photography.......

I know many reviewers and users complained about the E-M5 buttons. My personal opinion now that I experienced that of the E-M1 is I prefer the E-M5 lay-out, button feel and finally the complete concept of the E-M5. For those in the market.......get yourself one of those "like new" E-M5's that are being sold on the 2nd market......these are clearly going to become one of those collector type cams in the future. The E-M1 is awesome and all about its button layout and look & feel is top notch.......again just the older E-M5 is in a class of its own.......

One next point for this "short" first experience is the absolute amazing EVF on the E-M1, I will never miss my E3 / E30 OVF again.......the E-M1 view finder is something you need to experience yourself, nobody can properly describe just what it is like looking through the E-M1 view finder......

I fitted my 50mm four thirds macro on the E-M1 and it's responsiveness on the E-M1 blew me, never were the 50mm that fast focussing, accurate and a pleasure to use......again, amazing job Oly....

Knowing that I could have had a brand new Nikon full frame in my bag or a 5D MKII makes me experience the new E-M1 completely different to what I did with the E-M5....

Well different to the E-M1 my older E-M5 can now take up the role of a backup "compact" type camera.....something the E-M1 will never be able to.......

Siegfried

-- hide signature --

I love equipment..........and photography....

BushmanOrig's gear list:BushmanOrig's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow