Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,227Gear list
Like?
Re: you have a narrow-minded view of the benefits of compact size
In reply to tomtom50, 4 months ago

tomtom50 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

now the 1 and the m43 .. you really do get the savings.

even though right now the 1 lags behind .. i do think that Nikon tactically made the better long term "small system" decision because you could carrry a small equivalent system of lenses in a very small kit. no one else can really make that claim.

Nikon 1 seems to be a weird mix of excellence and mediocrity

• Great on-sensor PDAF & focus tracking
  • Generally excellent lenses
  • Off-puttingly high launch prices and then disturbing price slashing
  • Great electronic shutter and burst (60 fps!!)
  • Dynamic range way worse than 1" Sony sensor in RX100
  • (I hear, I don't have one) Strange UI limitations and choices.

I agree 1" is a good choice for a system camera. I have an RX100 and it has about the IQ I used to get from 35mm film. It is revealing that the DSLR kings (Nikon & Canon) brought out mirrorless options that are mash-ups of the lame and the terrific, and both end up drastically slashing prices to clear stock. Nikon seems to have done a bit better than Canon overall.

yes i think canon made a mistake going up to the APS-C size of sensor.  the 1 inch sensor the lenses are easier to design, far more economical to even put rare glass / materials in the construction, and over time with better sensors coming down the pipeline will have excellent results.

the only real danger to the 1 inch sensor and the m43's is the progressively higher tech being put into smartphones.  now with HTC rumored to be putting side by side sensors in their smartphones, the possibility exists that you could have a wide angle lens on one sensor, and a telephoto on the other.  eliminating one of the big problems with smartphones

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow