Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shaocaholica
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?
Thoughts on UI animations in high end cameras
9 months ago

I posted a similar thread in the Sony NEX forum but I think the topic is more general than that.

I've been using advanced bodies(interchangeable and fixed lens) from multiple makers for years now and most of them have never had UI animation which is good. When I turn a control dial one click, I expect instantaneous visual feedback on the LCD/EVF of the new value. I don't want to see an animation of the value changing from the old to the new which is laggy. Even worse are the UIs that pop up a new element showing a strip of values sliding.  I know the values to either side of the one I'm at.  I don't need to see that visual representation, especially if it has to pop up and then pop down on top of the display I'm using to compose.  Even if its only a fraction of a second it still doesn't feel right. Another bad thing about it is that most of them are not click accurate. If you scroll the dial very quickly, sometimes 3 physical clicks only register as 1 step in software. Thats just so wrong on an advanced body.

I think the Sony A700 did this nicely back in 2007.  Its rear display showed all the relevant options that could be changed.  You used the 4 way stick to highlight the value to change and command dial to scroll through the values.  No jumping to another screen, no new visual elements popping in and out of the main UI.

I think Fuji is pretty good too.  No pop up elements, instantaneous value change per click.

As of late Sony A7 has been bugging me with its UI animations.  Layout could be better but not totally egregious.

Canon and Nikon compacts seem to be pretty bad at this too.  I'm talking about the high end compacts here.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow