Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zigmont
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Nikon Coolpix S02
6 months ago

Not a camera you see much about in dpreview forums but I found one on sale the other day for less than $100 so I figured "What the heck." I'm a Nikon guy from way back in the FM2N days (still have it) up to the P300, P7100 and the D200 and D7100 I use in the studio to take product photos.

It's small and "cute" and light enough to throw in my pocket because the best photo in the world is no better than a lead nickel if you don't have a camera to use.

It's actually kind of fun and simple, although it took me a while to get my big fingers to work the touchscreen menu system.

It takes better quality photos than my HTC One cell phone...but that's not saying much I guess. Video quality is much better. Only problem is the typical one for cheap cameras -- not much dynamic range, but pretty good in mid-contrast lighting.

I turned off the flash and it still takes good photos indoors as long as there's decent lighting. Another nice touch is it tells you the aperture and shutter speed on the display when the shutter release is pressed lightly.

Actually, it's not bad at all and the only thing I wish they would have added was a Bluetooth transmitter to zap photos to the laptop. Also, the mini-USB charging adapter is not the standard cell phone type, so you have to carry around the Nikon USB cable and wall outlet charger. I'll have to see if there's a USB adapter I can use.

Kind of weird using a camera I can't control (I almost always use manual settings on my DSLRs) but it actually kind of brings you back to ground again for photo taking, you think more about how to lock focus and re-compose the shot, focus points, the effects of ambient light (visible immediately as the S02 focus points are moved about) and how to wring the most out of a camera without all the options to depend on.

Anyway, like I said, not a camera you're going to find a lot of passion for in the forums, but heck, it's fun. I took this close-up of one of my wife's African violets this morning in the window and other than cropping out the windowsill, nothing else was done to it.

-- hide signature --

Herr Zigmont

Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow