ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photo_lovr
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Lens Help: Is there a "best lens" when it comes to video with my Nikon D5300
4 months ago

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to purchase a Nikon 5300. I was curious if there is a specific lens that I should be using over another if I'm taking video or that doesn't matter and it's more about what pictures I plan on taking.

What I will be using the lens for:

Video: The video will be of a lot of different things but a lot of my wife and 4 year old daughter doing everyday stuff.

Pictures: Most of my pictures will be outdoors of people. Mostly everyday pics of my daughter. Since I won't be purchasing multiple lens I would like to purchase a good quality lens or if I can get two lens in that budget that would be nice. Should I purchase a prime lens?

Here are my options for my camera purchase:

1) I could just purchase the body and then a separate lens. Body $795

2) Camera with lens kit- 8-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens $1096

Or I could purchase a lens that was recommended by people here. See recommendations below.

My Total Budget is $1200-1400 for camera and lens. This excludes any other stuff I'll need like a tripod, memory card and so on.

If I just purchase body then my budget for glass is up to $600.

Here are the recommendations for glass that I have received:

Get a 50mm f1.4. "Which is a great prime lens"

New Nikon 18-140

Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 DC OS HSM C- Reason given why to purchase this one: "The focal range on that lens is great for everything from landscape (17mm even on a crop sensor is pretty wide) to portrait (70mm provides decent compression, and the fact that it can reach f4 at that end means you have a chance to dabble in subject isolation by moderately blurring the fore/background)"

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non VC version- Reason given "if you want superior optics at a very reasonable price"

After this purchase I don't plan on purchasing any more glass until I can start to become experienced and maybe earn a few bucks taking portraits or everyday shots of people.

I had someone takes some photos of my daughter and I outdoors (she was using a canon 7d with a 50mm 1.4 lens). I thought the pictures were great.

Sorry for the long thread but I wanted to put much detail as possible.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow