At which focal length range (WA, normal, tele) does lens speed matter the most to you?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
At which focal length range (WA, normal, tele) does lens speed matter the most to you?
4 months ago

It seems to me that every couple of weeks someone drops by our forum to compare N1 cameras with the likes of RX100. One of the arguments in the favour of the compact is the small size coupled with the "fast lens" which is not available for N1.

Disregarding the "fix lens camera vs ILC" argument, which for me makes such cameras incomparable, I have to say, that in my opinion RX100 lens is not fast at all. Going over my photos in lightroom and thinking about my shooting habits, I find that I almost never miss additional stops on the short end. When I use WA, I almost always use it for subjects like landscapes, for which it's beneficial to use a tripod and to stop down. For this reason the 10-30 could be a f/5.6 lens, and I couldn't care less. Where I miss speed is mostly on the long end. I would be very happy if my 10-30 had f/2.8 at 30mm.

RX100's lens is f/4.9 at the long end, which is still too slow to make me excited. For this reason I don't get why people are excited by the lens of this camera. The camera is small, but for me in terms of speed, it doesn't offer any advantage over N1 in practical use.

What's your take on this? At which end do you miss speed the most?

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow