Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,588Gear list
Like?
Re: There is no magical size/weight advantage
In reply to DesertCat, 7 months ago

DesertCat wrote:

I get the original point that a 70-300 is essentially going to be a 70-300 lens in size and weight regardless of the sensor size. Fair enough. For people that already have something in that size class and an FT-1, there may not be much of a difference in size or weight. They could, however, benefit from having a native N1 70-300 because it would support all of the focus modes of the camera instead of just the center point.

This is correct, which is the reason I'm excited about the lens.

One thing that annoys me with some discussions in the forums, however, is an assumption by some people that everyone also has an FX or DX camera with an accompanying stockpile of lenses to use with an FT-1. Great for you if you do.

Well I don't, which is why I will most likely get the CX 70-300, if Nikon doesn't overprice it terribly.

Have fun with it. Don't assume that's the case for everyone. I, along with many other N1 owners, would much rather purchase native glass that is fully supported by the camera and doesn't require buying an adapter in addition to an FX/DX lens. In addition, discussions of focal length equivalents, depth of field, field of view, bokeh, etc. often devolve into something that isn't really intended to help but, instead, seems intent on catching somebody in a technical misstatement and then beating them down for their ignorance. I don't find that particularly helpful in making lens buying decisions. Instead, I see it as somebody just trying to pick a fight.

That was not my intent. I've posted this thread, after I saw several users say something along the lines of hoping that the CX 70-300 is much smaller than the FX 70-300.

For me and many others, a native 70-300mm lens would be a welcome addition to the the N1 family. Don't know that I will be able to afford it, but it may be too good to resist.

Me too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow