There is no magical size/weight advantage

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598Gear list
Like?
Re: What "exactly" is an equivalent lens as regards to the sensor size?
In reply to nigelht, 9 months ago

nigelht wrote:

One example of where the smaller Nikon 1 sensor outperforms most, if not all, Nikon FF sensor is video image quality. It's fast enough to clock out all the lines and sub-sample for better image quality vs most DSLRs that line skips to get to the desired HD resolution.

DE: I’m curious, then -- most DSLRs do video by line skipping. Does the D5300 read out all the lines, and then perform sub-sampling in the processor?

TY: Not to that extent, although the Nikon 1 does.

DE: The Nikon 1 reads out all of the sensor pixels?

TY: Yes.

DE: Ahh… That’s why Nikon 1’s video is very good.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/14/nikon-qa-head-of-development-sees-interchangeable-lens-slowdown-as-an-aberr

That may be the exception that proves the rule but the flat "same ISO = crappier IQ on smaller sensor" is false in at least one use case of current sensor vs current sensor.

That is correct, but since most here are photographers rather than videographers, we are assuming that still image quality is more important.

To me at least, although I enjoy experimenting with my V1's video mods, photo quality is much more important than video quality. I would like to see some improvements with the new 18MP sensor. Wouldn't you?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow