Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
Re: you are not allowed to say that
In reply to Tord S Eriksson, 4 months ago

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

IVN wrote:

myzel wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

maybe i'm slow, but the 1 series lenses sure look smaller to me. much smaller.

INV writes about the same focal length and aperture (and making some simplifications to make his point).

Actually your approach with only considering FoV (and not DoF) is oversimplified.

You look at the lenses with the fov in mind (normal lens, wide angle lens, telephoto lens…)

Why stop at FoV?

If you use the lenses to make pictures and you have a certain framing and persective in mind, then yes the lenses you will need for that are smaller.

Yes, if you use lenses to make pictures, then chances are you are also interested in DOF, because framing is not the only factor which is important. And if you need much larger f-stop number on the N1 lens, than on the FX lens to replicate DOF and noise performance and shutter speed, chances are again, that the two lenses will be similar in size, although they have different focal length and aperture numbers.

Examples:

Sigma 50-150 f2.8 OS is a DX lens made to offer DX shooters the same "framing" the 70-200 f2.8 offer to FX shooters. Although it has a 1 stop lower effective aperture, it is almost as large as any 70-200 f2.8.

Or look at the Sigmas 30mm f1.4 EX and Art (45mm f2.1 equivalent). both versions are larger than many 50mm f1.8 lenses, despite having lower effective apertures.

If you compare same focal lengths and same apertures you will notice that same apertures and same focal lengths are the same. Not that this matters to most photographers,

Sure it matters. Some people are expecting the rumored N 70-300 to be much smaller than the FX 70-300. It's not going to happen.

but if it feels good to know that 30 mm is 30 mm - fine.

To me DOF means very little, while IQ means a lot. A Nikon 1 70-300 might very well be a better lens than my AF-S 70-300 VR, due to better lenses, and better lens coatings, but nothing is sure until the testers have had their say in a year, or so, from now!

Making a really outstanding lens is difficult, but not impossible!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Most likely it will perform much better, if the 6 ED and 3 fluorite elements design which is descried by the patent is true. It would be very sad and disappointing if Nikon wasn't able to design a better lens despite making such huge efforts in regards to materials and design complexity.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow