D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Joe Tam
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?
Re: Dongles and WFTs
In reply to Rexgig0, 6 months ago

My work has taken me to many events large and small since I went digital in 1999. I have never had an issue with wifi transmission devices being prohibited even in courts.

Nikon has absolutely no reason to leave out Wifi except to gouge customers of $559+ for the wt-5. Kinda like their battery chamber covers for $29.

And I'm sure whatever wifi chip they put in eventually will not be obsolete during the lifespan of the camera.

my panasonic Gx7 has wifi and i have used it a lot to transferring images to ipad/iphone for captioning/transmission.  Wifi is very useful in a camera and is a benefit to a photographer's workflow.

I am not surprised Nikon did not include it in the D4s.  Nikon doesn't surprise me anymore.  They are timid.

No, not everywhere. Have you never been to a location that prohibits all forms of mobile communication devices? I work in the criminal justice system, so the first places that come to mind are prisons, jails, and detention areas. Some judges will prohibit such devices in their courtrooms. If I were to be tasked with approaching a suspicious device, that might be explosive, to get some images, I would leave my mobile phones behind, at a safe distance, and leave my portable radio switched to the "off" position. I am not (yet!) prohibited from having photography equipment with radio communication, but it would violate protocol, in most cases, for me to transmit images wirelessly, if these images were captured in the line of duty.

I am more familiar with Canon products; the Canon 6D, which normally has wi-fi, is available without it, and the 600EX-RT Speedlite, which has radio triggering, is also available as the 600EX, sans radio triggering.

I have traveled very little internationally, to date, so have not encountered places where radio equipment is prohibited by law, but have read about such places.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D4s Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow