Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
tkelly11
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Wedding with the Df
In reply to foto2021, 6 months ago

foto2021 wrote:

tkelly11 wrote:

Overall I have found the 50mm 1.8D creates pleasing images but not in any way astounded by the sharpness. But then again, its a pretty good deal for what it costs so cant be too harsh. Would like to invest in something better in the future, then combined with a greater understanding of the camera should lead to better results. But overall I appreciate the memories.

I liked this set very much. As a pro wedding shooter who has been doing it since 1973, I think this is an excellent set of 'informals' to complement the formal shots that the pro will have provided.

You should expect far more of the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. It may not be expensive but its optical design has been recognised as outstanding since its introduction in 1979 as the Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8. Soon after, it gained multi-coating and was later released as an AI-S Nikkor.

There are few lenses sharper than this. It is sharp in the centre wide open and the edges are sharp by f/4. From f/5.6 to f/11 it is sharp across the frame but from f/11 diffraction inevitably blunts performance.

The AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D uses the focusing motor in the camera body to drive its focusing ring. Consequently, autofocus will be slower than with an AF-S lens. The most recent version of the 50mm f/1.8 is AF-S and has a 'Silent Wave' focusing motor in the lens allowing much faster response.

A couple of your shots showed clear signs of the camera not having focused properly, possibly because the shutter released without confirmation of correct focus having been obtained. But all of them showed less than optimal sharpness.

This suggests either that you have a bad copy of the lens, which is possible but unlikely - I must have used six or seven different examples of this optic over the years and they have all been very sharp - or the camera's AF system is in need of adjustment. I suggest you should carry out the simple tests needed to confirm the latter.

-- hide signature --

Colin

Thank you Colin, I appreciate your thoughts. I think in terms of optimal sharpness, that can probably at least in part be down to user error. Coming from m43 where, in general, the prime lenses are pretty much sharp wide open I am having to work out what works best with FX. It would be great if it could be sharp from wide open, and from what I understand, very few FX lenses are that way. So I am just trying to learn what works best.

In terms of the focusing speed I have found it to be more than acceptable, with only the odd exception when its really dark and the camera temporarily gives up even trying. But apart from that, quite happy with it.

I am planning to pop into my local camera shop today so might try a few other options to see how they compare. Would love to get hold of the 85mm 1.8G to see what everyone is talking about as it seems to be a gem.

Thanks,

Tom

tkelly11's gear list:tkelly11's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow