Olympus OM-D E-M10 or Sony A6000?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,205Gear list
Like?
I chose NEX for the wide angle
In reply to Jkim7, 4 months ago

One thing I was looking for was a 10mm linear zoom that takes filters and no mirrorless system had such a thing until Sony announced the 10-18, so that decided it for me.

m43 has a 9-18 which isn't wide enough for me and a 7-14 which can't take a filter rendering it useless AFAIC (and I'm suspicious of bulbous WA lens designs anyway because the protruding primary tends to pick up flare and glare.) Compounding the m43 wide-angle situation is the very unaesthetic 4:3 aspect ratio which always needs cropping to something more rectangular for decent landscape compositions--in so doing you lose even more WA.

The 16-50 kit was another draw--great range for a carry-anywhere lens and compact. Again, m43 nearest compact lens is 19mm at the wide end--not nearly wide enough for that type of zoom IMO.

One advantage the m43 system has is in telephoto. There are two 300mm zooms and I'm not holding my breath for Sony to make a 300mm zoom. So if you want to do birding or wildlife with a telephoto, I think m43 is a better choice as long as you're not too demanding about shooting action towards or away from the camera.

Another advantage of m43 is there are some nice compact wirelessly controllable system hotshoe flashes. The wireless system hotshoe flashes for the NEX are mostly fairly large (although there are plenty of inexpensive non-system options out there.)

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow