Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Funston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,306
Like?
DXO 9 Prime NR
4 months ago

Nords post about extremely high ISO IQ got me thinking so I did some playing around at ISO's much higher than I would normally take my a77 to. I shot a low light indoor shot at 6400 iso and went to work to see if I could make the heavy color salt and pepper noise disappear or at least not make me vomit looking at it.

I have lots of PP software and plugins but generally just stick to my Aperture PP software and use Topaz Suite if needed. The other softwares I tried for this experiment were CS6, DXO 9, Capture One. Normally, I rarely use DXO for no other reason as I never saw much difference between it and Aperture and I like the KISS system of filing Aperture uses. Long story short and the end result surprised me DXO 9's PRIME noise reduction blew all of the rest away even my beloved Aperture/Topaz De Noise combo I normally use. The difference was incredible to say the least. So much so I wrote DXO to ask them when their next sale will be happening for upgrades because I would like my a99 files to be able to get the same results if I shoot up in the stratosphere in iso's.

I am not going to post the picture results because it was a crap shot and honestly not a scientific test in any aspect. It was just a user running the same raw through various softwares trying to find what looked best in the end. Seems the more documentation someone presents the more nick picking the replies and comments. It is what it is and my point is if you are fighting high color noise images you might want to checkout DXO 9's Prime NR software.

I will say this, the results were so impressive for me that if I am shooting over 400iso with my a77 my raws first stop in my workflow will be DXO 9 from now on then move it to Aperture for final finesse and filing. I don't impress easy .........especially when it comes to noise and noise reduction. Prime does have one big issue though and that is processing time..... even with a TOL new 27" iMac with 36gig of ram it still took 3 minutes to process. Can't have everything! You can bet if I am in a situation where I must dial up the iso for a special shot I will not be gritting my teeth as hard anymore as I do it.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow