Thoughts on D700/800 combo for event shooting?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,489
Like?
Re: Thoughts on D700/800 combo for event shooting?
In reply to Jogger, 9 months ago

I have done group photos of up to 40 individuals with a 12MP camera and I cannot imagine needing anything more than the D610 provides. The D800 produces 45MB RAW files and the TIFF files are more than 250MB in size. When the extra resolution is wasted there is no point in dealing with the many more CF cards, longer upload times, longer batch processing times, and greater archival storage demands of these files.

Ideally I would have a camera like the D610 and the D7100 with the FX camera used with the wide angle and 24-70mm lenses and the DX camera used with the 70-200mm f2.8 lens. On the DX camera the lens functions much like a lightweight 105-300mm f2.8 VR lens.

In most situations if the FX camera fails the DX will get the job done with the 24-70mm and 70-200mm without having to resort to using the 18-35mm f3.5G or 14-24mm f2.8 lenses.

An advantage of using the D610 and the D7100 is that both use SDXC cards so only one set of cards can be used with both cameras. SDXC cards are also half the price of full size Compactflash cards and the SD card readers without the tiny pins are lot more durable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow