Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lxcellent
Contributing MemberPosts: 748Gear list
Like?
Wait! The 80% X-E2 score is flawed!
9 months ago

Obviously, we all know, without having to handle the cameras, that the X-E2 is an easier camera system to carry around than, say, the Nikon 7100. To me, this is a HUGE parameter when deciding what system I eventually landed on. Of course, there are tradeoffs in being more compact that are somewhat reflected in the relatively low score that this body gets. What is odd, however, is there is no DPR parameter for 'portability' built into the score. The X-E2's portability is not even listed as a "Key Feature" on the front page of the review - a strange omission given that this is one of the MAIN reasons to go with this body versus a DSLR. This strikes me as odd since it was such a huge factor for many of us who chose the mirror-free way of life.

In other words, while the Nikon 7100 scored an 85% as compared to the X-E2 scoring an 80%, this score does not reflect that one system is a lot easier to bring with me everywhere I go. (If you don't follow my logic here, the Nikon gets higher scores than the X-E2 for ergonomics, features, build quality, and viewfinder – all things that are a direct result of being a much bigger body). Seems to me that if I am a consumer making a decision about cameras with the same sensor-size, the concept of the importance of portability is something that I would want DPR to help me understand.

I hope that this helps consumers as they make decisions about what system to go with.  I own mirror less (m4/3 and Fuji X) as well as dSLRs, BTW, so it is not as if I am trying to justify my purchases.

- Lxcellent

lxcellent's gear list:lxcellent's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
no!New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow