Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JNATravels
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Seeking Advice on a "walkabout"/day to day lens for my Sony a55
7 months ago

I'm in the market for a day to day "walkabout" lens for my Sony a55.

Ideally I'm looking for something that will travel well, since that is where I take the majority of my photos, that will take good photos in various conditions (sunny, overcast, snow, etc). Looking for strength in low light, color sharpness, and general image sharpness.

I'm willing to spend up to £400 or so (~$650).

Also? I'm a total amateur and will not fake knowing everything I talk about here. So feel free to go slow or treat me like I'm a child, happy to take in some wisdom while I'm shopping.

At the moment I have the following lenses that I use:

- Sony DT 3.5-5.6/18-55 SAM base lens

- Minolta MD (converted) 50mm 1:1.7 manual Prime

- Minolta AF Zoom 35-70mm

- Tamron Tele-Macro(1:3.9) 70-300mm

I think it goes without saying that the Tamron is my baby, but the 70-300 range is a bit too far for day to day shooting. It typically is in my bag at my beck and call because it does take some stunning photos. The focas capabilities of the Tamron is something I absolutely adore, and I suspect that it's due to the Macro element of the lens.

The Sony 18-55 is a lovely lens but I've been disappointed with the quality of the photos at times and the color capture of the lens. Sadly when I take sunsets with my camera they often are washed out, but if I take them with my phone I can get all the colors to truly stand out. I know that has more to do with just the lens but any suggestions towards that would be appreciated as well.

So. Hit me with your best shot

JNATravels's gear list:JNATravels's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +2 more
Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow