90EX great solution with 6D for old Speedlite 580EX!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
5Cats
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
90EX great solution with 6D for old Speedlite 580EX!
8 months ago

I have a couple of Speedlite 580EX (not the II version), one of which was from the end of the Analog era.  The 580EX's work like new still ... but when connected to the 6D you can't control them from the camera menu at all; only from the menu on the flash itself (which is a pain).

I just got a 90EX (as part of an M bundle) and what is great is that you can use the camera menu to control just about every feature of the slave 580EX from the 6D menus directly!  Not absolutely every feature is available on the camera menu and some have to be set directly on the Speedlite e.g.:

- can't set strobe

- can't set 2nd curtain sync

- can't set the flash zoom

... but given I can't set anything without the 90EX (plus of course it helps me get the main flash off the camera) it is a pretty neat solution.

If there is a way of accessing the remaining 580EX functionality from the 6D menus with the 90EX ... would be very interested to hear ... but maybe if in slave mode it's not possible to set these functions?

The 90EX is also truly tiny ... a great solution.  As a fill flash for the 6D ... well it really struggled the couple of times I tried this - it just isn't powerful enough - but I guess in an emergency it would be ok.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow