Why Does It Seem That Lens Sharpness is the ONLY Critical Factor?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 751Gear list
Like?
Why Does It Seem That Lens Sharpness is the ONLY Critical Factor?
9 months ago

Doesn't anyone remember "the good old days", i.e. less than 15 years ago, when lens sharpness was objectively measured and lenses were judged almost entirely on micro contrast, color rendition and dynamic range?

Nowadays, it's all lab instruments judging lens sharpness pixel by pixel. Just how much edge to edge sharpness is really critical, or even -noticeable- without zooming in 1:1? Most modern day lenses are extremely sharp compared to their similar priced lenses of 20 years ago. And besides, sharpness is only ONE factor.

How many times on this forum, regarding the FE24-70 F4.0, do we read: "Gosh, just got the lens, took a few photos and they look -spectacular-, but then I zoomed in 200% and noticed it was soft at 24mm, F4.0, at the edges. So I'm returning it."?

I used to shoot 4x5, Schneider lenses using 50 ISO Fuji Velvia. Looking through a standard 4x loupe, WOW, the detail was amazing! Then I looked through a printers loupe (16x?), and darned if the detail started to get fuzzy. What a crappy lens!

Throw away your printer's loupe folks. There's a lot more to lens' quality than edge to edge sharpness.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +12 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow