Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,179Gear list
Like?
K3+1.4xAW+DA*300 1st shots
9 months ago

My 1.4x arrived last night so I took it to the lake this morning to try it out. Shooting conditions were terrible, overcast with low contrast. All of these were taken wide open at f/5.6.

First shot, American White Pelican: AF-S with SR on, uncropped and down-sized for the web, no PP sharpening:

100% crop:

2nd shot:

100% crop:

3rd shot, Mallard BIF: this is the first shot of a long sequence with AF-C, SR off, 9 point expanded area AF:

The focus for that shot was almost, but not quite, spot on. The others were all like shot #17 in the sequence shown here:

I'm nowhere near ready to make detailed comments about this combo other than to say that I was able to get long sequences of BIFs and I'm really looking forward to being able to take it out when there is decent light. However, I can say that the K3 with 1.03 loaded recognized this as 420mm FL, that it felt well-balanced for shooting, and it seemed like the time to find focus was about the same as the bare DA*300. I'll post more as I get time to PP more shots.

LPA

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RonNew
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow