Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M10 or Sony A6000?
In reply to Jkim7, 9 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between these two mirror less cameras that have recently been announced. I'll be buying the camera mid-april and I was wondering which camera you guys would buy. I'm a beginner photographer so I thought I'd ask reddit.

Both seem to be at the exact same price point. The A6000 seems to have better specs while I guess the M43 system has more lens? I heard that E mount has enough lens and a wide variety also that there will be everything I need at similar prices to M43 lens, with similar quality.

Thank you!!

First, Both cameras are capable of taking great photos, be wary of anyone who says differently.  As far as lenses, both systems have more lenses then you'll likely ever be able to afford, or want to carry around with you.

Olympus has a very nice selection of Primes: 12/2, 17/1.8, 25/1.8, 45/1.8, 47/1.8 (Panasonic has a few nice ones as well).  Olympus zooms (except the 9-18 and new 12-40/2.8) aren't my favorite, but they're OK.  The only real issue I have with Olympus is that they don't have an electronic (first curtain) shutter like the Sony Nex/Axxxx series do.  I nearly bought an E-PL1 but the shutter shock issue at many shutter speeds prevented me from doing so.  While I haven't looked into the newer Pens yet, I know that they have a 2 sec delay option, but that won't work for me in some instances.  Regardless, I would probably try before you buy.  Take a series of shots at 1/80, 1/100, 1/125, 1/160, 1/200 sec and see how much (if any) blur you can see, take the shots with the lenses you'd likely uses now and purchase within 1-2yrs time.

As for the Sony, this is what I'll probably end up getting.  (I was also looking at the Fuji X-A1.)  Sony also make some very good lenses, 10-18/4, 16-70/4, SEL18-200 (my copy was great), 24-70/4, 70-200/4 (probably), 24/1.8, 35/1.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 55/1.8.  The 20/2.8, 55-210 are pretty good too.  The only weakness IMO is the kit lenses, 16-50 and 18-55, I wish they were a little better, but for most things they'll probably be fine - at least until you upgrade.

The choice, ultimately will have to be yours; I like the Sony, they're the first Mirror-less ILC maker that has come up with my ideal walk-around lens (16-70/4), I just wish it was a little cheaper.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow