Scottish Pentaxians! (or those who've been)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
richteed
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Go North .. Go West
In reply to Heie2, 9 months ago

I live in Scotland.  Lots of great suggestions so far. If you're heading for the Highlands, then don't miss the islands.  Generally the further North and/or West you go, the more gobsmacking the scenery. Weather permitting, these are my recommendations:

• West Highland Railway from Glasgow to Fort William to Mallaig.  Absolutely unmissable!!
  • Cal Mac Small Isles Ferry from Mallaig to Eigg, Rhum and Canna - don't need to get off .. just a cheap cruise with great wildlife and scenery
  • The wild bounds of Knoydart (ferry from Mallaig or very long walk) - Scotlands great wilderness and last frontier
  • Isle of Skye (nowhere in the world like it)
  • Harris and Lewis (if you've got time) have the most beautiful beaches in the British Isles and a unique inland scenery
  • The Ross of Mull and Iona - just amazing.  Carsaig Bay gives access to the best coastal walks in Scotland in either direction
  • Red Point near Gairloch - the beach at the end of the world.. You'll well up just standing there looking out to sea - I guarantee
  • Glen Nevis near Fort william - Hike up to Steall Falls - awesome mountain scenery
  • The Inverpolly area north of Ullapool - a mystical landscape with megalithic mountains that rise from the bog (car required)
  • The caledonian forests in the Cairngorms National Park.  Rothiemurchus Estate near Aviemore is a good place to start - Hire a bike from Bothy Bikes and explore

Bonus at the moment is that there's been more snow than for the last 60 years this year, so the tops will be plastered for the next few months.  Plenty of snowsports to be had too if you're into that.

Enjoy your trip!!

Rich

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow