My regrets....Advice: Buy the best you can afford.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AlbieSky
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332Gear list
Like?
My regrets....Advice: Buy the best you can afford.
6 months ago

I have had the D70, D80, then rebought a used D80, D3100, and D5100. Looking back, I should have just bought the best or second best camera, and also not been afraid to change brands.

If you can afford it, buy the best. If I was starting today, I would buy a DF, D4s, 5DM3, or 6D. I don't read up much on the other brands. I have Nikon DSLR's, Nikon 1 series, and all my P&S have been Canon.

If you are deciding between Nikon and Canon, Canon's straight out of camera jpgs are still better than Nikons. Hell, my Canon P&S jpgs are better than my D5100 jpbs sooc. And yes I have tried to play with the WB and different settings to get better sooc jpgs from my Nikon DSLRS. The only ones that came close were the CCD sensor ones. I guess I like the default Canon jpgs with their pop, plastic, and extra sharpening.

I read the posts about getting a better lens than a body. Instead, get the best body you can afford and the best lenses. I should have started with one of the trinity, then added the best/better primes and more of the trinity.

So...for those of you who have the money, spend more and buy what you really want. Don't feel guilty about the initial money.

AlbieSky's gear list:AlbieSky's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3100 Nikon D4s Nikon D5100 Nikon D70 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow