GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,891Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to Euell, 5 months ago

Euell wrote:

GaryW wrote:

louisjaffe wrote:

Not to minimize others' concerns, but by far the most important question to me is whether the A6000 will do better in low light than the NEX-7. ...If I could gain one stop or more of low-light ability with the new camera, I'd buy one and keep the 7 as a second body. - LJ

Just to re-iterate, you're not going to get 1 whole stop from one generation update of a sensor, particularly these days. I'm sure all of the big gains have been made.  Unless you want to move to a FF sensor, then you have an easy 1 stop gain.

Even with the older cameras, you might be surprised what you can do from RAW. Carefully balance how much NR to use, and you may feel like you can get another stop out of it. Well, worth looking into. Also, a bit of noise isn't a big deal. Try printing larger and see.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Remarkably, the NEX 6 can be useful even at ISO 3200 for medium sized prints with judicious noise reduction.

I printed a number of photos at 5x7, and really, I couldn't tell what ISO the photos were taken with.  I also couldn't tell which were at f2.8, etc.  Now, if I wanted the highest quality, of course I'd want to watch the ISO, etc., but I'd bet I could take an ISO 3200 photo from RAW and print at 8x10 without much issue.  Would it be enough for a stock photo service? Maybe not, but the quality I'm getting is so high compared to years past, I am concerned less and less.   Cries about noise and soft corners seem to be more and more obsessive.  The last time I went back to my P&S I bought almost a decade ago, I noticed that it had soft corners that were noticeable at its 7mp.  But, I could often get good prints up to 8x10 (11x14 was a stretch).  I probably get better ISO 3200 now than I did then at 400.

BTW, the A6000 is projected to arrive at major U.S. retailers April 23rd. No doubt there will be answers to many questions within a few days thereafter.

Yup. We get to endure two more months of speculation until then.  Yay.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow