What's the big deal with the retro thing?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,641Gear list
Like?
Re: Some styles are timeless
In reply to mr moonlight, 5 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

If you made this same car with modern parts while still keeping true to the original design, we'd have something like the X100. Sure, it may have a digital readout on the dash and tire pressure sensors, but it would feel a lot like the original. It would be like having all the perks of a classic car without the headache.

The new Porsche 911 is pretty much the same car... with modern parts. In 1963 it costs around $6,000, but today it will cost around $90,000, and could go up as high as $193,600 based on model and options selected.

There are a few reasons for this huge price increase:

• Inflation alone would take the price to $45,000 today
  • There are safety and emissions controls that didn't exist in 1963
  • The new version really is a pretty amazing car, that accelerates, brakes, steers, and does virtually everything better than it did in 1963.

The dream car that I would love to see remade as a modern version is this one....

The Volkswagen Kharmann-Ghia Convertible coupe was an absolutely stunning car design. Unfortunately it was nothing more than a VW Beetle wearing much nicer clothing. But i still loved the way it looked.

Since VW does make a convertable Beetle today, and it costs around $30,000, I'd assume it could be styled like the classic Kharmann-Ghia for around the same price. Same insides, different skin....

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow