nikon d5100 & SB-700 remote flash issue

Started Jan 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
Optical triggering with built-in flash
In reply to CDi, 7 months ago

CDi wrote:

Nice tip with the remote flash but i see that in pictures the body flash also appears, can i use the body flash just for remote triggering or i will always have the bought flashes active at the moment of the picture is been taken ?

When using your camera's built-in flash to optically trigger remote units the signal to fire the remotes must occur when the shutter is open. Here are several ways to minimize the built-in's light that registers in the image.

1. Set the built-in to minimum power.
  2. Use a reflective card to divert the built-in's light toward reflective surfaces if you are inside.
  3. Block the built-in's visible light with Nikon's SG-3IR IR Panel.  This filter passes IR light which optical triggers are sensitive to.  You can make your own version of this.  Search for IR passing filter materials.  Some floppy disk material has this property and it worked for me.
  • John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow