Potential dead horse: how bad is FF's deep DoF disadvantage?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,922Gear list
Like?
Re: no disadvantage
In reply to bobbarber, 5 months ago

bobbarber wrote:

I'm not sure about this. If you read the review of the D800 on this site, they are cautious about promising extra resolution. You have to use the best lenses, best tripods, etc. to get the most out of the camera.

That's true with any camera - it depends on how much the output is magnified.

And if you want to get the same pixel density as my SX230HS on one of those cameras, you would need a lot more than 36 Mp and you would need consequently better lenses.

Not really. The Pentax Q has the same size and resolution sensor as your SX230HS so you can use it to judge how legacy lenses would perform. You might be surprised.

So to do ridiculous crops, you have to have ridiculous image stabilization,

Again, no different from your SX230HS. For 70mm, the same angular movement results in the same amount of blur on the sensor.

However, even those $10,000 lenses would not be adequate for a 50 Mp, or 100 Mp sensor, which you would need to match the zoom capabilities of smaller sensors.

And you base this on what? (See Q results).

If you don't see it, I'm not sure you're being honest, unless you can do better than the "crop" myth, which falls apart under examination, not even to speak of real world experience.

Uh, I think the myths are mostly on the other foot.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ZeroNew
(unknown member)
DustNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow