D700 - Where to go next?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
karlreed
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 - Where to go next?
In reply to OniKudaki, 7 months ago

I am pretty picky, probably, for me, cameras and power tools are my equivalent of woman's jewels. I get the best I can afford, even if I'm not using them much. I also test products before buying. I bought my D700 in 2008 after extensive testing against 5dMKII and Sony A900. Periodically, i consider upgrading it and do some tests to see what might meet my needs. I have the battery grip, but, I use it for the extra FPS.

I am always amazed at how the IQ of cameras is improving, even in small sensors. However, I keep finding that the D700 just does so well, I'm not keen to spend A$2k-$A3k to replace it. I mainly use it with a 28-300mm 3.5-5.6 VR, which I find a bit slow for night sports events, since 6400iso is really pushing the envelope for the D700, as you'd know.

.I know this is sacrilege, however, in OZ, I can get an Olympus OMD-1 with the pro f2.8 lenses for about A$3.5K, or try the new Fuji X-T1. The D700 will likely beat these for AF, but, it won't for low-light IQ anymore.

Like another poster, I am thinking of getting a D7100 to use with the 28-300mm for my sports shots, but, I must say, I think the D700 really is a class act, and, as an critical owner, I'd have to have a bit more money than I do to justify getting another body.

-- hide signature --

karl reed

karlreed's gear list:karlreed's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow