Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ragmanjin
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
K-3 high-ISO test shots — FANTASTIC!
9 months ago

Check out what Pentax's latest can really do. All DNG RAW, processed in Lightroom 5 only. One at ISO 3200, then 5000, followed by 8000 and finally a shot at 40,000:

3200: Lots of DR, great colour depth and no shortage of shadow or highlight detail. All in all it handled three light sources of varying angles, temperatures and intensities like a champ.

At ISO 5000, to me this looks like things are starting off on a good note.

8000. The auto white balance was leaning a little on the green side, but that's pretty easy to fix in post.

Again, these are just test shots, but I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed with what the K-3 can do at ISO 40,000. Sure some of the shadow detail is a little smudgy in certain spots — and there are plenty of shadows to be had in this one — but my Canon T2i (RIP) looked like this at 3200! Note the lack of noise in the well-lit areas of this photo. Just fantastic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pentax is the only brand I would ever trust with auto ISO. With every other camera, it's full manual with the shutter speed as the last variable I set on the fly, but TAv on the K-3, for personal use, is a HUGE boon to me. Very impressed, even compared to the K-5IIs.

Thoughts?

-Raj

P.S. I'll be actually outdoors with the K-3 more over the next few days, so expect more tests soon now that the city's starting to thaw out after more than a week of this ≥-20ºC weather. Video reviews (and a battle of the Nifty 50s) are in the making as we speak.

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

ragmanjin's gear list:ragmanjin's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Samsung Pro815 Canon PowerShot G11 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +7 more
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow