PIX 2015

How do you set the aperture on a D800 or D800E?

Started Mar 7, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
W A Stewart
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you set the aperture on a D800 or D800E?
In reply to ormdig, Mar 7, 2014

Thanks again Pete. It took a bit to figure out the menu structure as I am not used to it. (I once used several Nikon film cameras but that's no help here!)
I like this approach because it's easy enough to switch back to unlocked, and locked makes sense in most landscape situations - the ones I bought the camera for. Generally I want to maximize dof without running into diffraction softness (somewhere around f/13 it seems so far), and therefore there is seldom a need to change aperture. At least at the times when there is no need - most of the time in good enough light that we don't have to start thinking of the exposure variables as we can stop down, keep ISO low and still get a fast shutter speed when hand holding (I use the one second delay) - it can be easy to forget about aperture as it isn't meant to change. Hope this makes sense. Anyway those are the times it will be good to lock the aperture.

-- hide signature --

W Alex Stewart

W A Stewart's gear list:W A Stewart's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow