Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,048Gear list
Like?
Shirt-pocketable GM1 combo?
9 months ago

I routinely carry the Sony RX100 in my shirt pocket, which it fits quite comfortably.  I tried the RX100II, and the fit was a bit snug, but still possible.  When I got the GM1 I wondered if there was a lens that I could combine with the GM1 that would make the combo shirt-pocketable.

Alas, no.  The smallest lenses I have are the 12-32 and the 25mm, and either of these mounted on the GM1 put the combo out of the shirt-pocketable category.

Enter the Olympus 9mm body cap lens.  This is smaller and lighter than any other m4/3 lens.  Would the GM1/9mm be considered shirt-pocketable?  I bought the body cap lens with this in mind, although I also liked the idea of a fisheye.

And, I'm happy to report that the GM1/9mm combo fits my shirt pocket--about as well as the RX100II, but less comfortably than the RX100.  The GM1/9mm actually weighs less than the RX100II: 234g vs. 281g.  The following pictures show, first, the GM1/9mm, and then the RX100II.  They felt about the same.

Of course, the 9mm f/8 lens is a more limited-purpose lens than the 12-32, 25mm (or the RX100), but, given its price and physical characteristics, it performs much better than you might expect.

Bob

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow