How does a lens work to form an image on the camera's sensor...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GBJ
GBJ
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
How does a lens work to form an image on the camera's sensor...
4 months ago

Hi DP Review photographers...

My camera is the D700.

I am looking for a book that explains the way a lens operates, primes and zooms, to focus and to reflect or refract an image onto the sensor of the camera.

I have been a photographer for many years now, well, not too many...about 4. I understand many of the details of how cameras work, as far as shutter speed, iso, aperture, and also how the mirror works to reflect the image into the viewfinder before it shuts to allow light to strike the sensor, and form an image. What I do not understand is how a lens operates. There are many specialized lenses with specific purposes, and they are built with elements of glass inside, or plastic.

I am looking for a book that explains the way a lens operates, primes and zooms, to focus and to reflect or refract an image onto the sensor of the camera. I've read a bit about how

light and color wavelengths come together at a point of convergence, and this seems like it is the point where the focus is achieved, and this distance from the camera's sensor is what is known as the focal length. Hopefully this is correct so far, but I am having a tough time trying to compare various bits of information from the internet. Is there one cohesive book that you know of that you would be willing to recommend with me, and others?

I am a bit confused because some website sources try to tell me that how a lens works is to refract a wide source of light down into a very small pinpoint on the sensor, and that focus is achieved when that light source forms the smallest diameter point it can on one spot on the sensor. I am definitely missing something here! Especially if you refer to the diagram I posted with this. In basic terms I understand the diagram representation.

Anyways, I hope my questions and recommendations for a good book or website will help other people also.

Thankyou for your time!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow