Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jabs767
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
RAAF Centenary of Military Aviation 2014 Airshow
9 months ago

I managed to get to the Centenary of Military Aviation Airshow at RAAF Base Williams, previously RAAF Base Pt Cook in my day when I joined the RAAF in 1971 on the RAAF's 50th birthday.

The show celebrated to the day the first flight of a military aircraft in Australia when a Bristol Boxkite got airborne as part of the fledgling Australian Flying Corp (AFC) which was part of the Australian Army. The RAAF was formed after WW1 in 1921.

The show was punctuated with sunshine after a gloomy day on the Saturday (the sun did appear after the show finished in typical Victorian style!). However after a similar gloomy start on the Sunday, we all managed a dose of sunburn on Sunday.

The highlight was the public flight of the Bristol Boxkite replica on day 2. It flew the length of runway 17/35 after considerable deliberation about the wind strength. A spectacular sight.

Historical aircraft included Tiger Moths, Sopwith Pup, Mustangs, MkVIII Spitfire, P40 including one with a RR Merlin engine, Meteor, CAC Avon Sabre, C47 Dakota, Catalina and DHC Caribou.

The show included aircraft types from throughout the RAAF's history with flypasts from various era or campaigns up to the current force of F/A-18F, F/A-18A, KC-30, Wedgetail, P3C, C130J, and C17. Even a flypast of four King Air 350 that were very tight and something different to the regular airshow participants.

For some unknown reason the Army only parked their Tiger and MRH90 helps.

The RAAF Museum even dragged out the F111C. I would have much preferred to see the Mirage IIIO dragged as well to park beside the Hornet as the two longest serving fighter types in the RAAF's history.

For the weekend I equipped myself with two D4 bodies and my trusty D800E fitted with 200-400, 500 (sometimes with TC14) and 70-200. My son shot with my D3s and 80-400 AF-S which performed perfectly.

Bristol Boxkite landing straight ahead......

It does fly.....the Bristol Boxkite airborne.

CAC Avon Sabre

F/A-18A Hornet dropping flares to ward off IR threats.

Boeing Wedgetail with Surf Board on the roof! More like a toaster!

F/A-18F Rhino Hornet at 8g

F/A-18F Rhino Hornet at high alpha

F/A18-F Rhino Hornet in high g turn

F/A-18F Rhino Hornet pulling up

F/A-18A 'Classic' Hornet

F/A-18A 'Classic' Hornet

F/A-18F Steroid Hornet nudging the number in pull-up, with shockwave.

4 ship of F/A-18A Hornets from No 3 'Big Tank' SQN

-- hide signature --
 Jabs767's gear list:Jabs767's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow