How can you adjust jpeg compression in Olympus O-MD E-M1?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Strawberry Pie
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: How can you adjust jpeg compression in Olympus O-MD E-M1?
In reply to Digital Dick, 9 months ago

Digital Dick wrote:

I think most of us reading this thread are of the opinion that you are mistaking over sharpening and too aggressive noise reduction for compression artifacts.

You're right.

Here's where I went wrong. I shot tests in jpeg+raw mode, and imported them into Aperture. Then I flipped back and forth between the two, observing detail at 100%. My mistake was to assume that the camera settings for sharpness were applied to both the jpeg and the raw file.  I attributed the differences in the image to compression effects. However, the sharpening setting evidently only affects the jpeg; Aperture is ignoring whatever data about the in-camera sharpeness setting is provided in the raw file. The differences I saw were thus not due to compression; they were due to differences in sharpness and noise reduction applied to the jpeg. (Yes, "duh".)

Thanks for persevering to point this out, despite my obstinate insistence on a different and flawed line of reasoning....

Mike

Strawberry Pie's gear list:Strawberry Pie's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow