Definition of bokeh, simply gibberish?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,115Gear list
Like?
Re: Definition of bokeh, simply gibberish?
In reply to guitarjeff, 4 months ago

guitarjeff wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

Bokeh is defined as “the effect of a soft out-of-focus background that you get when shooting a subject, using a fast lens, at the widest aperture, such as f/2.8 or wider.”...

No it isn't.

Bokeh is the quality of the out-of-focus areas in a photograph.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Who decides what the quality is? Oh, that must be subjective, unless you can give some concrete qualities of the quality.

Bokeh is the quality of the blur, not the quality of the quality of the blur.

So you mean quality as if I look at a painting and say, " I find that to be a quality work of art", right? If you mean it that way, bokeh is 100 percent subjective, but then the silly definition going around is meaningless, which is my point. There is no such thing as a definition with parameters describing a real object or phenomenon that exists only in the mind.

That is not how I mean't it.

I think I have clearly shown the modern, mystical attempted definition of bokeh to be simply gibberish that can't be rationally defended as being a definition. Bokeh is simply blur due to dof, no artsy, mystical concept there at all.

If it were simply blur, there would just be different amounts of blur, not different kinds of the same amount of blurring.

Wrong, there can be smooth blur or choppy blur, all with the same amount. this has nothing to do with amount of blur.

Exactly my point. But instead of saying smooth blur others choose to say smooth bokeh, or whether they like that bokeh. All these terms describe the visual quality of the blur.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow