Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,666
Like?
Dealbreaker for me
In reply to PVCdroid, 5 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Per a customer support chat session just now, the level gauge is gone on the A6000. Too bad and I must be one of the few that rely on this feature. Other posters here seem disinterested in this capability.

Question:

I'm interested in the A6000 but can't find that it has a leveling gauge for the LCD. Both the A3000 and A5000 have this feature. Can you confirm that it IS NOT on this new camera?

Answer:

Upon checking the a6000 has no digital level gauge.

I also was getting ready to put the money down on an A6000 because of the faster AF (including in AF-S which there was a panic over) and some of the other goodies, but not now.  The level-guage was the only thing that stopped me selling my NEX-5R for an NEX-5N (prefer the metal build, visible silver buttons, better LCD/touchscreen and sensible strap lugs on the 5N).  I use the level-guage a lot and it has increased my 'keeper' rate enormously

If the feature really is missing off the final camera then I'm not interested in it

Now I will keep my NEX-5R (with level-guage) instead.  I may get the A77 replacement if (?) it eventually appears and offers good AF, otherwise I will sell my long Sony glass and move to Canon for telephoto stuff and keep my NEX for walkabout (sad)

I don't understand why this feature was missed off either

- Did they forget? (Sony are getting *really* sloppy recently with pricing and website mistakes and all these problems with the A7 so I guess this is possible)

- Did a product manager deliberately sabotage the model so that it wouldn't have better sales that the FF bodies? (Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of unhealthy rivalry within Sony that only damages their relations with their clients)

- Were they so keen to make a profit that the position sensor was missed off? (I guess the part has a component cost of less than $1 = $5 max impact on price - probably less).  Doesn't bode well for the construction quality of the rest of the camera if this is the case (see A7 for more examples...)

I also don't understand why other posters aren't interested.  I guess many of them simply aren't using a lot of their camera's features

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow