Will Sigma ART lens line-up rule the lens market?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeremyTP
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Will Sigma ART lens line-up rule the lens market?
4 months ago

If we fast forward 3-5 years, we might be looking at a complete line-up of ART prime and zoom lenses. If those lenses stay true to the kind of image quality we've seen already from the likes of the 35mm 1.4, it seems that Nikon/Canon/Sony lens sales are likely going to take a major hit!
Imagine being able to build a complete kit of ART lenses while saving 1/3 of the cost vs the big guns, and possibly being rewarded with sharper and brighter lenses. Not to mention the USB adjustment and free(?) lens mount switching service that Sigma offers should anyone decide to switch between camera manufacturers.
I'm a totally in love with Zeiss lenses, but there must be some tense strategy meetings over at Nikon/Canon/Sony/Zeiss these days!
I hope Sigma brings some healthy competition and forces others to drop prices, but I'd hate to see them force anyone out of the market.

Thoughts?

JeremyTP's gear list:JeremyTP's gear list
Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow