Comments on a (percieved) lack of quality in MFT, a short rant, and a few questions.

Started Mar 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Maaku
Maaku Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Comments on a (percieved) lack of quality in MFT, a short rant, and a few questions.

Okay, so I bought a Contax G back in the heyday of the mid-nineties, and one of my primary reasons for buying it was to have optics at least as good as CaNikon's flagship primes in a much smaller package.

I got into Micro-Four-Thirds, for what I felt to be similar reasons. A small, light package, equal in quality to mid-to-high end crop frame CaNikon DSLRs.

And I have found over the last couple of years that this isn't so much the case. What I got from the Contax G was a somewhat temperamental, but easy to use package, that delivered slider after slide of lovely exposure and rich detail. And in effect, gave me what I was looking for.

But Micro-Four-Thirds (MFT) has been somewhat of a disappointment, and I'm surprised at the lack of quality that even expensive MFT glass (PanaLeica 50mm F1.4, Panasonic 7-14mm F4, Oly 75mm F1.8 & 12mm F2) delivers. To be more specific, I don't feel they're anywhere as good in terms of subjective sharpness and flatness of field (esp. wide open), compared to crop-sensor DSLR lenses from other manufactures.

I thought that the lack of a mirror box would allow for simple, effective, non-retrofocus optical designs that take full advantage of the short flange distance, and consequently deliver exceptional results. But I seem to be wrong. I concede that my understanding of digital sensors is limited, but I don't think that small sensor size is a sharpness limiting factor, and considering the lack of an anti-aliasing filter on my EM-5, I thought that may mitigate sensor limitations somewhat.

So in effect, is there a specific reason why I am disappointed in the image quality of MFT?
Or are my expectations of the system too high?
And if there is some sensor limitation, would an upgrade to a Sony Alpha 7 deliver what I'm after?

Try a better monitor . your images will improve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow