Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to PVCdroid, 6 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Euell wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

much faster AF on the A6000

can you say that with my Sigma AF lenses?

Probably not any slower.

but whats the point of changing if it isn't actually faster? seriously, if you take away the faster AF what does the A6000 offer that I don't already have? and what would I loose like the EVF resolution and no mic input?

seriously, at this point we don't even know which sensor is better - at low ISO without the pdaf pixels there is a very reasonable chance that the NEX-7 sensor might actually perform better

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. The NEX 7 is way out of date now. Technology does not move backwards. The A6000 would not sell if bested by a much older model, now would it?

A big deficit for me at this point is the lack of a leveling gauge on the A6000. I was all on board a couple days ago to get one but am now waiting to see if this feature is really missing. The A3000 and A5000 have it but there is no example image/screen shot out there showing the gauge so far and the specs from the published manual indicate it's gone. It doesn't make sense and I hope it's just an oversight or the prototype didn't have it for display yet.

Per a customer support chat session just now, the level gauge is gone on the A6000. Too bad and I must be one of the few that rely on this feature. Other posters here seem disinterested in this capability.

Question:

I'm interested in the A6000 but can't find that it has a leveling gauge for the LCD. Both the A3000 and A5000 have this feature. Can you confirm that it IS NOT on this new camera?

Answer:

Upon checking the a6000 has no digital level gauge.

A digital level is admittedly a useful feature on a camera. However:

1) I have shot for years without one...

2) I have shot the NEX-5N for a couple of years without one...

3) I shoot my Canon 6D through the OVF 95% of time, where the digital level is not available...

4) For even tripodded-and-digital-leveled (and often bubble-leveled as well) landscape stuff I shoot with the 6D... I still have to fine-correct in PP, as the levels are rarely precise enough for my tastes.

Therefore not having a digital level is not a big deal for me, even though I would like one. I suspect people "disinterested in this capability" might be coming from a similar direction.

Aside from the lens-side of the equation, the core functionality of a modern camera is its sensor capabilities and its autofocus system. Being that both of these are supposed to be significantly improved on the A6000 over any of its predecessors, it's a no-brainer.

To me, IMHO, to consider it a deal-breaker is to reject a newer model of a sports car with more power and better handling because it lost the cup-holders of the previous model. Sure, to also have the cup-holders would be nice... but it's ancillary... and ultimately, expendable.

 DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow