Definition of bokeh, simply gibberish?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,260
Like?
plain silly and not logical
In reply to guitarjeff, 6 months ago

So, do we go around throwing out every word in the dictionary that isn't defined by measurable parameters?

Happy? Pretty? Sad, beautiful, sexy, good, evil, right, wrong, fun, art. A great photo, an artistic photo, a pretty photo.

None of these are measurable, yet we all pretty much know what they mean, and use them everyday with no controversy.

Bokeh is very well defined. Not only it how out of focus the background is, but it is how smooth and pleasing the transitions are. I'm sure if someone was bored enough they could come up w/a way of measuring the blur quality.

I'm always amazed when newbies step and try to redesign words that have been in common use for years. A photographer should have some qualities of the artist in his soul. I feel sorry for you if the only concepts that exist in your mind are those that can be measured, weighed, and counted.

Have a nice day.

A quality is an aspect of something. An aspect or quality of something has definable parameters. Never have accepted the artsy definition thrown around because a definition has to be definite, or it isn't definition.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow