mallbuedel
Contributing MemberPosts: 921Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon P8000 vs Canon G1X
In reply to BorisK1, 4 months ago

BorisK1 wrote:

mallbuedel wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

I think, if brightness stays the same, a smaller desk will collect less total light.

-snip-

We aren't speaking of total light here, but of the amount of light falling on a certain surface.

Not "We". You are talking about the amount of light per unit area. Which is determined by the actual aperture value.

I was talking about the overall amount of light. Which is what you get when you take the light per unit area and multiply it by the area in question.

The amount of light available with a certain aperture and same conditions has the same intensity per square unit on whatever surface you choose, big or small desk, 1" sensor or a 1/1.7 one.

Agreed.

Now, to get a ballpark comparison of the amount of noise you'd get from the two cameras, you need to think in terms of light gathering capacity. If the sensors' S/N ratios are equal, the sensor that gets more total signal will show less noise. For the same amount of light per unit area, a sensor with twice the area gets twice the total amount of light, and hence, will have half the noise in the final image.

All I did was compare the two cameras' light gathering capacity.

Of course, I have no way of knowing the sensors' S/N ratios. Until that information becomes available, this ballpark comparison is probably the best we can do. We do know that both cameras are released within the same timeframe, so they should both be using fairly equivalent sensor tech, so there shouldn't be a huge difference in S/N ratios. But this is just speculation on my part.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow